Saturday, January 14, 2012

Filing the Weekend Away

Winter is arriving tonight in my neck of the woods on a gale-force wind.  Although there’s still NO snow on the ground or forecasted for the next 10 days, it’s going to be bone-chilling cold here in southern New England for the first time, which is a good thing – it means I have an excuse to stay inside all weekend and try to get through some long-overdue projects.

The biggest is addressing the paper clutter threatening to swallow the available surfaces of my home.  Post-holiday clutter is still evident, and added to a year’s worth of chaos caused by major renovations inside and out, all of which seem to provide the perfect breeding ground for paper in any form.  So no piece of paper will remain untouched as I ask myself the following questions: 
  1. “Why do I have this/Why did I keep this?”
  2. “Do I really need it?”
  3. “Does it have a home (either a binder or a folder)?”
  4. “If I throw it out, what will happen?”
  5. “If I run away from home/am taken by extraterrestrials, will anyone else (a.k.a. Hubby) know why I kept this?  Or does it only make sense to me?”
  6. “Do I really need it?”  (This gets asked twice, just to confirm I really need to save it.)
My goal is leave no piece of paper untouched, to purge as much as possible, and file all the school papers, permission slips, registration forms, insurance statements, and receipts I have to keep by the end of this weekend.  Wish me luck, and if there isn’t a new post by Monday, send in the search party!

What’s your big weekend project?

No comments: